February 11, 2006 – Composter Built

Today, Martin and I finished building the small animal composter!
composter

We used treated 2×4 and welded wire (we got on closeout at a store that went out of business last fall) to make the sides and some old roofing I found under the corn crib for the roof.
composter

This shows a closer shot of one of the sides of the composter. The part facing up is the outside of the composter.

composter

This shows a closer shot of one of the sides of the composter. The part facing up with the wire attached shows the inside of the composter.

composter

Here’s a bit of detail on how the sides go together – with a section of electrical conduit and some screw-in eyes. This makes it really easy to move or take one side off to fill it up.

composter

Here’s the final product. A great project – Marty helped by standing on the rolled wire while I got one side tacked down and helped hand me screws, etc. as I needed them. I’m hopeful this will save me a lot of digging in the coming years. Here’s a link to the original sheep composter that was the inspiration for this one.

Next, we need to make a new household composter because the “temporary” one we built the first month we moved in 9 years ago is starting to rot.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.